Online Safety Rules
I will not give out any personal information online without my parents' permission. This includes my name, phone number, address, e-mail, location of my school, my parents' work address/ telephone numbers and credit card numbers, and my picture. This goes for anywhere on the internet, including e-mail, chat rooms, newsgroups - even Web pages that I make myself.
- When using the internet, I will always use a pretend name or nickname that doesn't reveal whether I'm a boy or a girl.
- When creating a password, I will make one up that is hard to guess but easy for me to remember. To avoid having it stolen, I will never reveal it to anyone (expect my parents) - not even my best friend.
- I will not respond to any message that makes me unconfortable. I will show an adult right away.
- I will arrange to meet a friend I have made on the internet ONLY if one of my parents has been informed and will be present.
- I will not send an insulting or rude message to anyone online. This is called "flaming" and it is not good Netiquette.
- I will not disable any filtering software my parents have put on the computer.
- I will not open e-mail, files, links, pictures or games from people that I don't know or trust. I will always ask an adult first.
- I will not take words, pictures or sounds from someone else's Web site without their permission.
- I will not believe everything I read on the internet. I will always check the source of the information and confirm it with my teacher, parent or libraian.